Tuesday, February 5, 2013

War

Now the topic of war can get a little tricky. I'm pretty much biased when it comes to war but then again I'm pretty much biased when it comes to just about everything. When it comes to war, I only support it when there is no other option. IT HAS TO BE WORTH IT. There are various reasons why states go to war. Some of those reasons being territory, economic gain, aiding an ally at war, and retaliation, just to name a few. When those reasons are childish and translates to plain bullying on an international scale, I disagree with it.
 
Take the nine year U.S. War on Iraq for instance. America decided to go to war with Iraq because they believed that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. In the article, Ten Years Since Colin Powell Presented Case for Iraq War, the article acknowledges today (February 05, 2013) being the ten year anniversary of the day former Secretary of State Colin Powell made his case to the United Nations to go to war with Iraq. With this being said, one year ago Colin Powell stated this an interview "I feel bad about any loss of life on either side of the conflict, but I think it was a justified decision based on what we knew at the time. I did it, and as I say in the book (It Worked For Me), I had to move on. I was still Secretary of State. I couldn’t go in a corner and go fetal."
 
After doing further research on the War on Iraq, I found out that yes chemical and biological weapons that had been missing for years were recovered after US troops invaded Iraq, but since we then we have not found nuclear weapons that Intel suggested we would find. In other words, Colin Powell acknowledged that he was wrong in the best way he could, because the amount of money this war cost, plus the total number of deaths not only on our end, but caused by us definitely does not say "worth it" to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment